Rental Housing Licenses
A rental license must be issued prior to the occupancy of any rental property.
If you prefer an Inspector wear a mask during the inspection, please let us know when a inspection is scheduled or request a mask be worn when the Inspector arrives for the inspection.
All pets must be kept out of site during the inspection.
Winona Housing Code Chapter 33A requires all rental units within the City limits to be inspected every five years on a renewal program. This is a mandatory inspection to ensure the health and safety of the occupants. Inspection fee will be collected once every 5 years for the certification inspection.
Not all rental properties may be eligible for a rental license. Please contact Planning & Zoning at 507-457-8250 to determine if the property is eligible for a rental license. Once is has been verified, an inspection will be scheduled with the Building Inspections Department at 507-457-8231.
Obtaining a Rental License or Renewing
- If a new rental, it must be verified by the Planning & Zoning Department that the property can be a rental
- A rental license application is submitted by the owner
- An inspection of the property by the Building Inspections Department
- Fee payment is received-Fees are due upfront for a new rental.
- The property must be in compliance with the City of Winona Housing Code before the license is issued.
Common Rental Violations
Forms & Ordinance
- Chapter 33A Rental Housing Ordinance (PDF)
- Rental License Application(PDF) Form must be downloaded and saved before submitting.
- Rental License Transfer of Ownership Application (PDF)
(Form must be downloaded and saved to a file before it can be submitted)
- Covered Bicycle Parking Regulations
Rental Housing Map
Inspection fee will be charged per the following fee schedule effective January 1, 2021, as adopted by the Winona City Council, C.C. Section 51 (69), either:
- $32 per sleeping room in building
- $85 per each building plus $85 per rental unit in building
- Single Family Dwelling - $85 per building plus $85 per rental unit equals $170 total.
- Duplex - $85 per building plus $170 for two rental unit equals $255 total
- Owner-Occupied Duplex - $85 per building plus $85 for one rental unit equals $170 total
- Sleeping Rooms- $85 per building plus $32 for one sleeping room equals $117 total