- Opportunity Winona
Investing in our community to create new growth & opportunity in Winona
Cities today each face the same challenge: recruiting new residents, businesses and industries, retirees, tourists, and others while keeping those already there engaged. The City of Winona faces these same challenges. This is why Winona leaders launched an effort known as Opportunity Winona to encourage investment in the downtown area to create new jobs, housing, and commercial activity that are meant to benefit the entire community.
Opportunity Winona, a public-private partnership, was established in 2015 with the vision to revitalize downtown Winona through public and private capital investments. It is a collaborative effort between public and private entities, the Port Authority of Winona, the City of Winona, the Winona Area Chamber of Commerce, Winona Main Street, and other community leaders and organizations, with the purpose to encourage and facilitate investments downtown. In order to do this, Opportunity Winona facilitates various projects focused on making sure downtown continues to be a place everyone in Winona wants to be by securing funding and developing public-private partnerships with a single purpose: to energize downtown.
Opportunity Winona is a series of projects connected by a single vision focused on our city’s downtown that will bring new vitality into our downtown and sustain these improvements for years to come, while creating an environment that fully utilizes existing buildings, develops key sites in the downtown area, and creates public connections that will bring people together in our downtown.
Winona’s downtown is its connection to its history and the Mississippi River. Opportunity Winona fosters partnerships and brings together resources as never before from a wide array of community businesses, institutions, and governmental entities with a focus on the heart of the city that will make residents proud, encourage visitors to return, and inspire new businesses and residents to set down roots in Winona.
Completed projects include the Gateway to Levee Park and Phase I improvements to Levee Park. In addition, the City approved and installed new wayfinding signage directing residents and visitors alike to downtown amenities. The City also improved downtown public areas following the completion of the Interstate Bridge. The Main Square and Fastenal office building developments, which were supported by Opportunity Winona, complement these broader downtown improvements. Historic rehabilitation projects such as the Latsch Building, The Exchange, Nate and Ally's, 102 Walnut and Walnut Corner are a few of the projects that have been completed since Opportunity Winona began.
The goal of Opportunity Winona is to foster and support complex and important projects that “get it right the first time” while still acknowledging the need to complete transformative projects quickly.
Opportunity Winona is a collaborative project between a diverse group of public and private entities with the vision of a revitalized downtown Winona. The Port Authority of Winona manages the project, and the leadership team includes the City of Winona, the Winona Area Chamber of Commerce, Winona Main Street, and others from the business, education, and healthcare sectors.
- Fastenal Opens New HQ Office in Downtown Winona Industrial Distribution, December 6, 2021
- Fastenal opens new office downtownWinona Post, December 15, 2021
- Hardee’s block project gets rolling Winona Post Aug 1, 2018 Updated Sep 27, 2021
- Opportunity Winona Announces Main Square Phase II (Press release March 9, 2020)
- Project to bring apartments, preschool, commercial space to downtown Winona News800 February 20, 2018
- Cities focusing on redeveloping downtowns along the water Rochester Post Bulletin November 23, 2017
- 'Start of something big': Winona seeks large downtown project, requests plans for lot near river Winona Daily News November 4, 2016
- Winona council moves forward on Levee Park designs; city to review practices to support pollinators Winona Daily News October 3, 2016
- Opportunity Winona Quarterly Newsletter July 25, 2016 (PDF)
- Winona's downtown offers developers opportunities, and challenges Minnesota Public Radio News December 14, 2015
- Winona bets on downtown Winona Post 11/16/2015
- Winona sees downtown opportunity Rochester Post Bulletin 11/14/2015
- Opportunity Winona launched as downtown development initiative Winona Daily News 11/13/2015